Thursday, July 9, 2009

What's on the carving table 7/09




As many of you know, I love to carve, spoons mostly. If you've visited my webpage and read the Artist's Statement, this will sound familiar. There is almost nothing more satisfying to me than sitting outside in the evening with a block of wood and a hand-held carving tool; it is a simple but gratifying pleasure.




I'm experimenting with some different designs. Here's what I'm working on this month, a black walnut ladle. I imagine it to be decorative only, because of the bead at the bottom of the scoop. I also intend to carve a stand that will compliment and mirror the design of the ladle itself. These take a long time to make; from this point, it's a lot of sanding by hand. When the ladle is done, I'll post the finished product.

No comments: